Do you often wish to get a sculpted midsection and the toned stomach of your dreams? Mini tummy tuck surgery may be the answer.
We will explore what a mini tummy tuck is, how it differs from a full tummy tuck, its benefits, recovery time, and more. If you’re considering this procedure to get your ideal body shape, read on!
What is a mini tummy tuck?
A partial abdominoplasty, commonly known as a mini tummy tuck, is a cosmetic surgery that eliminates excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen. A smaller incision is done for a mini tummy tuck as compared to a full tummy tuck, typically located above the pubic area. Therefore, the scars from a mini tummy tuck are usually hidden beneath clothing.
Mini tummy tucks can be an option for people with moderate amounts of excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen. This type of surgery can also benefit women who have experienced significant weight loss or have a pregnancy belly.
The difference between a full tummy tuck & mini tummy tuck
Both tummy tuck procedures require an incision on the underwear line. Through it, the extra skin and fat are removed from the abdomen, and the underlying abdominal muscles are tightened, removing the laxity and resulting in a smoother, flatter appearance. The remaining skin is then sutured, resulting in a scar typically hidden by underwear or a bathing suit. The procedure is similar, but there are notable differences too.
The type of tummy tuck you undergo depends on the degree of skin laxity and where that sits on the abdomen. Laxity of the lower abdomen can be addressed by a mini tummy tuck with a shorter horizontal scar, behind the bikini line. Laxity that extends to and above the umbilicus requires a full tummy tuck with a longer horizontal scar behind the underwear line and also a scar near the umbilicus.
In instances where there is skin laxity but not sufficient to remove the hole where the belly button is removed from, this hole is stitched together as a vertical scar, which is very short, as well as a horizontal scar.
Full tummy tuck is typically recommended for individuals with a significant amount of excess skin and fat in the abdominal area and those who have stretched or separated abdominal muscles due to pregnancy or weight fluctuations.
A mini tummy tuck is a smaller version of the full tummy tuck, where they remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and tighten the underlying muscles to achieve a slimmer, more toned appearance.
This procedure targets only the lower abdominal area and is ideal for individuals with a small amount of excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen. Unlike the full tummy tuck, the mini tummy tuck does not involve any alteration to the abdominal muscles.
In conclusion, the main difference between a full tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck lies in the extent of the procedure. The choice between the two procedures depends on individual needs and goals. Discussing the options with a qualified plastic surgeon is important to determine which procedure is best for you.
Important things to know before mini tummy tuck
The main aim of a mini tummy tuck is that it can help to improve your appearance and self-confidence. A flatter, more toned stomach can make you feel better about yourself, and fit your clothes better.
A mini tummy tuck can also be combined with liposuction and other body contouring procedures, such as body lift. The combined procedure is termed a 360-degree body lift. When breast surgery is also included, it becomes a complete mummy makeover.
The mini tummy tuck surgery is a day procedure performed under anaesthetia. The duration varies if other procedures are added.
How to prepare for a mini tummy tuck
Before you decide to get a mini tummy tuck, it is important to mentally and physically prepare for the surgery. Here are some tips on how to prepare for a mini tummy tuck:
- Choose the right surgeon: When choosing a surgeon for your mini tummy tuck, select a board-certified, highly experienced, and reputable surgeon such as Dr Rory. You must trust your surgeon with your body and be comfortable during the procedure.
- Get mentally prepared: Be prepared for the surgery, it’s before and aftercare. This also includes being realistic about your expectations and understanding the risks involved.
- Quit smoking: If you smoke, it is important to quit at least six weeks before your surgery date. Smoking increases the risk of complications after surgery, so it is best to quit well in advance.
- Try to be active: It is important to be physically healthy before surgery. This requires exercising regularly and eating a healthy diet. If you are overweight, losing weight before surgery can help reduce the risk of complications.
The mini tummy tuck recovery process
You must adhere to all of your surgeon’s postoperative instructions. Some of the tips for mini tummy tuck recovery are:
- Try to walk. This lessens edema and the chance of blood clots.
- Avoid smoking for a minimum of six weeks.
- Maintain a balanced diet. Include plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- For at least six weeks, avoid lifting anything heavy and avoid hard activities.
- Avoid any exercise that requires stretching, bending, or putting pressure on your abdomen.
- After surgery, refrain from sexual activity for three weeks.
- Apply vitamin E topically.
- Remember to use sunscreen.
- Watch for any indications of infection.
Get a toned tummy with Dr Rory’s mini tummy tuck.
Dr Rory McGoldrick is a renowned plastic surgeon with 25 years of experience doing highly definitive cosmetic surgeries, like mini tummy tucks, breast surgeries, and contouring procedures.
Choosing an expert for the procedure’s success and the expected results is crucial. However, you may be advised to have realistic expectations.
So, book an appointment now to learn more about a mini tummy tuck surgery and your options to get started!