Mummy makeover surgery is one of the most highly-in-demand plastic surgeries in the world that can completely change a woman’s body contours, giving her pre-pregnancy toned physique. Mummy makeover is used to correct post-pregnancy physical and cosmetic changes that occur.
Mummy makeovers include any surgery that addresses breast, abdominal or body contouring, which may involve a variety of techniques such as breast augmentation, breast lifts, abdominoplasty, mini abdominoplasty, liposuction, labiaplasty etc.
Components of Mummy Makeover Surgery
Your mummy makeover surgery will include a combination of the following procedures:
- Breast Augmentation– Breast Augmentation is a procedure to increase breast size by inserting breast implants or fat transfer (retrieved from other body parts such as the belly, buttocks, thighs, etc.).
- Breast Lift– It ‘perks up’ the breasts. The surgery addresses breast ptosis or drooping by eliminating extra skin while repositioning the nipples upright.
- Breast Reduction– The surgery reduces the breast size according to the body’s proportion.
- Full or partial tummy tuck– Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty changes the belly size and shape, resulting in a flattened belly. In a full tummy tuck, the whole abdomen is contoured in the desired shape, whereas in a partial tummy tuck, the lower abdomen, from the belly button to the top of the pubic bone, undergoes a tuck.
At the same time, both full or mini tummy tuck procedures can repair the rectus diastasis or split tummy muscles, which may have been caused as a result of conceiving a baby. Rectus diastasis repair surgery can be done during tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty), which aims to tighten and rejuvenate the belly, giving a flat foundation to the tummy.
- Liposuction– Liposuction uses a suction device to liquefy and suck the body fat. It may be included in a mummy makeover procedure, depending on the discretion of the plastic surgeon.
- Buttock Augmentation– Buttock augmentation volumises buttocks with implants or through fat transfer.
- Labiaplasty– A labiaplasty surgery addresses excess labial tissue asymmetry following childbirth. Labiaplasty surgically reduces, tightens and reshapes the labia, or the “lips,” surrounding the vaginal opening.
12 MUST-KNOW facts about Mummy Makeover Surgery
5 Facts to know before Mummy Makeover surgery
- Choose only a board-certified plastic surgeon for your mummy makeover surgery. Ask questions about the surgery during the consultation, and discuss techniques, risks, health concerns, and procedure safety.
- A mummy makeover is for non-smokers. Even if you smoke, you must quit it at least 2-4 weeks before the procedure. Smoking impedes blood circulation and delays wound healing, thereby increasing the chances of serious complications.
- The requirement to stay in the hospital depends on the combination of surgeries, but in most simpler cases, it can be performed as an outpatient surgery. You must consult a board-certified plastic surgeon such as Dr Rory, to find a tailored, bespoke plan for your particular case.
- The specific procedures to be included in a mummy makeover will be according to your needs and goals.
- You must take care of diet and hydration before surgery. Also, you should not suffer from any chronic health conditions or blood loss disorders. You should inform the surgeon if you take blood thinning medications.
7 Facts to know about Post-Surgery Recovery
- Recovery from pain and discomfort can take one to two weeks. However, for the first week, you must be a little cautious and take ample rest. Your operated parts will be sore, bruised, and swollen during this time.
- You will be tired and exhausted for several days after your mummy makeover. Therefore, it is recommended to take assistance from someone to do your routine chores.
- You are not supposed to drive until pain medications stop. Even on the day of surgery, you must ask someone to drop you back home.
- Swelling and bruising can last for six months or longer. Although you will witness the immediate effectiveness of body contouring with a mummy makeover, the full results will show after all swelling has subsided in six to twelve months.
- You must refrain from heavy lifting that engages your core or pectoral muscles. Seek help from your partner or someone for domestic help, including carrying the baby.
- You are recommended to pay attention to your diet. Your diet should include a lot of fruits, vegetables, and superfoods that expedite healing. You will be recommended to take multivitamins on a timely basis.
- You may have to delay gymming for some time. However, you can start walking or standing exercises after a month.
Get ready to boost self-confidence with a life-changing mummy makeover surgery. It can potentially give you a more youthful pre-pregnancy body back.
Shape Up your figure with 100% Personalised Mummy Makeover Surgery
Dr Rory McGoldrick is a highly experienced plastic surgeon with 25 years of experience. His surgical portfolio includes thousands of safely performed surgeries and satisfied patients from all over the world.
When you come and visit Dr Rory, you will be given other patients’ details to discuss their experiences in order to get personalised stories of mummy makeover experiences to allow you to make informed decisions with regard to your aesthetic journey with Dr Rory.